Summers in Morzine are infamously filled with beautiful sunny scenery and lush green mountain landscapes. The French Alps are perfect for a season filled with tons of amazing activities including the most popular (after mountain biking); Alpine Walking.
Hiking in The Alps
There’s nothing quite like a relaxing stroll or a challenging hike amongst the beautiful views of Morzine. Morzine and the Portes Du Soleil area has over 200km of alpine walking routes, ready for you to take your pick and get going on your perfect adventure. All of the routes are marked and mapped so you can create your trail and go exploring on your own. If you’re not a confident hiker, there are always guides available to take you on a journey of your choice, while showing you the way, keeping you safe as well as educating you on the Alps. We’d suggest going with a guide if you’re an inexperienced hiker, but the choice is yours of course.
There is a range of Alpine walking routes to choose from depending on what you’re looking for. We have family-friendly walks, intermediate hiking routes as well as extreme, challenging mountain treks. Summer in Morzine is beautiful and many people love to stay fit and stay ready for the ski season by keeping their bodies in shape with hiking. The scenic landscapes of the Alps are truly indescribable, the air is fresh and warm and the feeling you get once you reach the top of a mountain is phenomenal.
Read on to find out more about alpine walking in Morzine, how to choose a route, safety tips, and more.
How To Choose An Alpine Walking Route
Firstly, you should decide if you’d like to go with the guided tour option. You can find information on guided Alpine walking tours at the tourist office and usually at your place of stay. At Aiglon Morzine we offer guided walking tours as well as accommodation & alpine walking tour package deals, which you can read more about below…
If you do decide to go with the option of a tour, you can discuss route options with your guide, decide on your fitness level and go from there.
Some of our Favourites Alpine Walking Routes
Family-friendly walk: The Dérêches Park & The Montriond Lake
Intermediate Walk: Lac des Mines d’Or to the Col de Cou
Challenging Hike: Roc d’Enfer (‘Hell’s Rock’) trail in St Jean d’Aulps
When Going solo, or with a walking/hiking buddy which we would always recommend for safety, pick up a map of all the routes and take your pick! Here is a guide to help you on your journey. This guide also includes the map and directions for some of the routes we have mentioned above, other maps can be accessed from the tourist office or us when staying at Aiglon Morzine.
Many of our more relaxed alpine walking trails include restaurants, bars, and other modern commodities along the way, so civilisation is never too far. Some more challenging or longer routes and mountain treks won’t have this luxury, so it’s important to prepare yourself correctly for your journey. Below are some tips to stay safe on your walk.
Tips For Staying Safe during Alpine Hiking
- Always bring a buddy. We wouldn’t recommend going hiking on your own unless you are an experienced alpine walker and are familiar with the area. If you’re travelling solo, there are many guides available to offer assistance and companionship, as well as group hiking tours that allow you to meet new people as well as see the stunning trails of Morzine.
- Inform someone of your whereabouts. Before setting off, be sure to inform someone of the route you’re taking so someone knows where you are. Again, if travelling solo, inform your accommodation reception where you’re heading and when you should return.
- Pick a suitable route. It’s important to choose a trail that your fitness level allows for.
- Always bring: a map, water, food, sunglasses, protective sunscreen and hat, warm/rainproof clothing in case of bad weather conditions.
- Do not deter from your trail. Don’t take shortcuts, you could get lost.
Morzine Hiking At Aiglon Morzine
With our close proximity to lifts and the town, L’Aiglon de Morzine is the ideal accommodation for Alpine walking. We also have an alpine walking package deal available that offers personal guides for a portion of your stay, breakfast, and lunches alongside the pleasure of staying at our outstanding accommodation.